In my last post I mentioned baking 72 cupcakes in an extremely hungover state, which is admittedly the second best cure to recover from intoxication. These cupcakes are truly a MUST for Nutella lovers. A Nutella filled center and Nutella based icing…. what more can a Nutella monster ask for?
A small bonus for all Nutella fans amongst you: check this out. It is even shaped like the jar!
100g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
140g caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
40g butter, at room temperature
120ml whole milk
for the frosting:
250g icing sugar
80g unsalted butter
25ml whole milk
80g Nutella (maybe more, a lot more;-))
- Preheat oven to 170 C. Line your tins with paper cases.
- Mix together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter until combined. Slowly add the milk and egg and beat well until smooth.
- Divide the mixture into the paper cases until 2/3 full and bake for about 20 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool on a wire rack.
- When they have cooled, hollow out a small section in the middle of each one using a teaspoon. Fill the “hole” with a dollop of Nutella.
- For the frosting beat together the sugar and butter until well mixed. Slowly pour in the milk and stir until its well incorporated and light and fluffy.
- Stir in the Nutella by hand. Adjust the amounts according to your taste.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, frost each generously with your Nutella frosting.
- You can decorate them with hazelnuts if you have any lying around in your kitchen.
A while back I made one giant Nutella cupcake-cake using the ingredients for 24 cupcakes and maybe just a bit less than 750g of Nutella :-). It was EPIC.