Happy Monday! Happy commuting life to me. After a month of funemployment I am back in the working community. What’s different apart from the job? I have to commute. Naturally, my naive self assumed that Swiss trains are reliable. After a nervousness filled sleepless night, I decided to get an early train to 100% make sure I’d be on time for my first day. Little did I know that no trains were running due to some confused (and maybe hungover) train blocking multiple tracks (?!?!). You can only imagine the panic that broke out in my mind. So much for my planned relaxing train breakfast. So much for making a good impression on my first day. In the end I did make an entrance – half an hour late. For you non-swiss that might be acceptable, for us it’s terrible.
Anyways – for my commuting I invested in this great muesli-on-the-go cup (it was a fully instagram inspired 2am kind of buy after a late shift). My first use of it: yoghurt/fruit with home-made granola. Once I did manage to get onto a train it was delicious and calming. Especially the granola – peanut butter, pecan and chocolate. The pecans are probably the best part. Granola is so simple, so rewarding and requires few ingredients. Great for commuting, great for any breakfast, also great directly out of the jar. Try it!
Peanut Butter, Pecan and Chocolate Chip Granola
makes about 12 servings
270g rolled oats
2 tbsp castor sugar
70-80g chunky organic peanut butter, unsalted if possible
60ml olive or peanut oil
60ml maple syrup
80g dark chocolate, chopped
ca 80g chopped pecans
- In a large bowl combine your oats, pecans and sugar. Preheat the oven to 170C fan assisted. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- In a small pot heat the maple syrup, oil and peanut butter. If you use olive oil don’t worry, your granola will not taste weird. Combine until you have a smooth paste.
- Stir the peanut butter paste into your oats, making sure it evenly spreads (you may have to use your hands).
- Spread out your oat mixture onto the prepared baking tray and bake for about 20-22 minutes, until golden. Toss once after about 15 minutes.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and cool completely before stirring in your chocolate chips. Enjoy with some milk, yoghurt and fruit, or my favorite: pick at plain granola while watching TV.
- You can store the granola for up to 2-3 weeks in an air tight container.