HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY to me!!! It’s like I have two birthdays worth celebrating annually from now on – exciting:-) I cannot believe a year has passed since I spent hours with my other half in my tiny flat in Chelsea trying to figure out how to best take a picture that would adequately represent the medical gourmet. Good times. Good memories. Didn’t turn out too bad right?
In celebration of this day – a small sweet treat for a spring and late summer culinary sin which reminds the palate of Christmas. Served with bubblies, obviously. No birthday of mine could go without!
Apple and Red Currant Crumble Bars
adapted from the Hummingbird Bakery
Makes about 12-16 bars
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
200g butter, softened
250g light brown sugar
120g rolled oats
300g apples, I prefer using Braeburn
4 tbsp cornflour
3 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan. Line your baking try with baking paper.
- Sift the flour (so I have never been able to do this due to lack or a proper flour sifter…. but guess what I got for Christmas?? YES – A FLOUR SIFTER), baking powder, salt and butter. Rub until you have a breadcrumb like consistency. Stir in the oats and sugar by hand. Press half of this mixture into the prepared tray.
- Peel and core your apples and cut into slices. Mix with the spices in a large bowl. Evenly place your apples on top of the oat mixture and sprinkle your red currants on top.
- Spread the remaining oat mixture on top of your currants , making sure you cover them all, and gently press down.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into slice to serve.
- And finally – enjoy – tastes like Christmas in your mouth.